Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Past, Present, Future (A story of socks)

A short poem in the language of socks....

The PAST:
Pattern: Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush.

Yarn: Schaefer Anne in some blues and reds of a forgotten colorway.

Yarn enabler: A Good Yarn This is a charming little store/knitting school place in the Fell's Point neighborhood of Baltimore. Poem-man and I were there during February vacation (I don't know why, either, but it was more fun than I thought it would be.) Anyway, A Good Yarn had a little bit of yarn, a wonderfully helpful proprietess, and it made me wish I could lived in Baltimore (!) so I could take their classes.

Time I spent knitting these when I should have been rehearsing for the musical at school: 3 weeks in Feb-March, maybe?

This was another one of those interminable toe-up sock projects whose non-transience was caused by a generous skein of skinny-dink yarn. In fact, knitting these socks forced me to realize that I was going to have to knit on 0s. Zeee-rose, baby! Crap. At least Poem-man has only size 9-1/2 feet and skinnier calves than me. These are knee-socks for criminy's sake. On the other hand, the pattern was easy, and it also was my first venture into knitting with Schaefer Anne. Liked the yarn, would knit it again, but maybe not socks--a shawl perhaps?

THE PRESENT: here's a little teaser of what's becoming of this parcel of love. I know it kind of looks like baby-pastel cat yak, but I think you'll like what you'll eventually see. Check back on me in a few days....

THE FUTURE!!! looks bright:
I received this in the mail today. The colorway? "FESTIVE!" The colors? Pretty freakin' festive. Very happy knitting girl here. I wonder what socks will come of this yarn?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool socks!!! I'm glad to see a least someone is getting knitting done, because I sure am not. Hopefully we can get together soon.

Anonymous said...

Lovely sock. You are on a sock roll!!!!